Sunday, May 4, 2014

David Bowie's exhibit



A couple weeks ago it was the David Bowie's exhibit's last day here in São Paulo. I had already seen it in London August last year with mine and N.'s dear friend A., so I thought "why not relive those joyous moments?" and made my way to the Museum of Image and Sound with my mom (who was the only person willing to stand in line with me for FOUR hours. Yes, that's right. You have to be a big David Bowie fan to endure that).


Of course, she didn't really stay in line with me for four hours, as she quicky found a bench she could sit down on. On the back you can see the David Bowie studio, where I recorded a karaoke version of "Ground Control" hahah. (Also, you can note how the light changes from the first pic to the second one: the day was over by the time we managed to go into the museum).


David Bowie: what a man. He called this outfit "ultraviolence in Liberty fabrics", how awesome is that? (He's a big fan of The Clockwork Orange). My mom kept on making comments about how people actually wondered wether he was a boy or a girl at the time (so I guess "Rebel"s lyrics are autobiographical haha). I guess I just love how he sends out a message that everyone can be whoever they want to be. So can I be David Bowie, please?



Indeed, he was so many people throughout the years. I wonder how he feels about that. I always think about how actors have to really become a character to make it believable to the audiance, can you believe how hard it'd be to actually be a character 24/7? How does one decide what their new them is gonna be like? And how do you know what you really are like after you're done with a character, how do you know what's your true self like? Anyway, ignore my musings about David Bowie's possible identity crisis ahaha.

 

Like I said, I had already seen the original exhibit in London. It was SO MUCH better than the one here :(( the V&A one actually covered Bowie's whole life, not only his music career, and generally had more than costumes and pictures of him. Sigh. 



At least I got to be in a real recording studio pretending I was Bowie, something I didn't do in London! yay <3 My love for him goes way back, in fact I even forced my friends to be in a remake of his video for Dancing in the Street with Mick Jagger (I was Mick Jagger though).




I'm not gonna post the videos of our remake because I really don't think J. (the friend I made play David Bowie's part) would really appreciate that being on the internet, but here are some stills you can enjoy (I think that for a one-night project made by three 18 year-olds, it's pretty good hahaha). I wish I still had friends who'd be willing to play with me like this, people seem so self-conscious nowadays (both J. and K., the friend who taped it, are living abroad now) :(( Anyway, we were dancing in the middle of São Paulo's Korean neighbourhood, so I guess that doesn't apeal to a lot of people (we did go karaoking after the shoot though, who doesn't like that?). Sometimes I think that I really need to get new friends!

A pleasant end of Sunday to you,
V.

No comments:

Post a Comment