Thursday, April 3, 2014

Tassel Garland DIY


Somehow, having a tassel garland stayed in the back of my mind after I saw this hello sandwich post from 2011 (!) of her lovely flat in Tokyo. I don't know if you know her, but Ebony is a crafty Australian girl (like N.!) who lives in Tokyo scrapbooking and being some type of Martha Stewart of the kawaii Asian arts. 
I couldn't even understand what materials were needed, so thank god N. pointed me to a proper tutorial and it was so easy even I could make one!


WHAT YOU'LL NEED
* tissue paper of the desired colors
* matallic ribbons (the thing we use to make carnaval wigs here in Brazil, known as metalloid ribbon)
* adhesive tape (preferably cute)
* string
* patience

HOW TO
1) cut the paper in rectangles (mine were about 25cmX40cm), fold it in half. shred it as if it were a Hawaiian skirt. go at it like crazy, once you twist the paper around itself no one will be able to see if the tails are the same size
2) careful not to ruin the tissue paper, because it's pretty thin (main difficulty of the project)


3) twist it around itself (see fig.3) to make little holes the string can be pulled through


They looked so cute next to my Kanken!

4) cut the ribbons into approx. 30cm smaller ribbons and wrap them around the string

SO SHINY

5) arrange different colors according to how you like them best on the string
6) tape the string it to your wall
7) ta-dah! I hope this won't be on the floor when I wake up tomorrow (it is now 11pm. Have I done my econometrics list? Nah. But I have pretty tassels <3)

Featuring my deer slingshot from Athens, my witch puppet from Prague and my
angry cat illustration by T. Ungerer, which I bought at the Museum of Illustration of Strasbourg <3

DO THIS IF
-> you feel like doing some ~artsy~ stuff but, like me, have no skillz at all
-> you like cutting paper
-> you enjoy the ruffling sound of paper
-> you're attracted to shiny objects

DON'T DO THIS IF
-> you have just painted your nails white, like I had. Scissors do not go well with recently painted nails.


BONUS: wear this as an actual hawaiian skirt next time you're invited last-minute to a costume party.


A pleasant day to you,
V.

No comments:

Post a Comment